Tuesday 17 May 2016

IDIOMS



1. CRUNCH TIME: the period of time just before a project has to be completed and everyone has to work hard
  • I’m not getting enough sleep these days. It’s crunch time at work.
2. LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY: to let others see your uniqueness
  • My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag fly and showed them a break dance routine.
3. GET OUT OF HAND: when you lose control of things, they get out of hand
  • The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each other.
4. GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT: to understand something
  • I just can’t get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.
5. DIG IN YOUR HEELS / STICK TO YOUR GUNS: to refuse to compromise or change your mind
  • My parents wanted me to give up writing, but I dug in my heels and went on to become a famous writer.
  • My parents wanted me to give up writing, but I stuck to my guns and went on to become a famous writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment